The official Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for the New Norwood Municipal Light Department Building took place on Saturday, February 29, 2020 at the entrance of the new building. Speakers at the event included Norwood Light Department Superintendent, James F. Collins, Jr., Board of Selectmen and Municipal Light Board members, Paul J. Bishop, Chairman and William J. Plasko and Town of Norwood General Manager, Tony L. Mazzucco. A special thanks was given to Norwood Light Commissioners, G&R Construction, General Contractor, Compass Project Management, Inc., Project Manager and Weston & Sampson, Architect/Engineer.
The Light Department was established in 1907 and had been located at 206 Central Street since 1928. On January 22, 2020 the Department relocated to 136 Access Road across from Norwood Airport. That building was formerly a warehouse, tennis club and storage building for the Boston Public Library. The Light Department renovation began in December of 2018 and just a little over a year later was completed on time and on budget. The new facility allows the Department to consolidate its operations in one location with customer service, vehicle storage and warehouse for stock.